How to Use the Pin Windows Feature on Samsung Phones June 23, 2021 – Posted in: Smartphone news
If you’ve ever gotten your phone out in front of kids, then you’ll know that it’s only a matter of time before they ask the dreaded question, “can I have a go on your phone?”. The age-old excuse, “my battery is nearly dead,” will only work a couple of times, so it’s best to leave that one in the bag for when you need it.
If you’re using a Samsung Galaxy, take a moment to set up the Pin Window feature and then sit back and relax, knowing that whoever has possession of your device is restricted to just one app.
What is Samsung’s Pin Windows Feature?
When Samsung’s Pin Window Feature is enabled, the user is restricted to whichever app is currently on the screen. It’s available in other Android phones, where it’s commonly known as screen pinning.
While pinned, all other phone functions are locked, making this feature particularly handy for parents who want to let their children play a specific game or watch YouTube but who don’t necessarily want them taking photos, going into the Play Store, or accessing all of their apps.
How to Use the Pin Window Feature
To start using the Pin Window feature, you first need to enable it from within your phone settings. This only takes a few moments and won’t affect the regular use of your device.
- Open your phone settings and head to Biometrics and Security.
- Scroll to the bottom of your screen, and then open Other Security Settings or Advanced Security Settings.
- Here, you’ll find the option to toggle on or off the Pin Windows feature.
- To turn Pin Windows on, tap the toggle.
- To prevent the Pin Windows feature from being easily switched off, select the Pin windows option and then ensure that Ask for PIN before unpinning is switched on.
Turn Pin Windows on Within an App
Once the Pin Windows feature is enabled on your device, you’ll be able to pin any app to your screen. The app will remain pinned to your screen until it is unlocked.
- Open the app you want to pin. In this example, I’ve used Netflix.
- Next, select the Recents button at the bottom left of your screen. This button will open all of your recent apps. On some phones, you can access your recent apps by swiping up from the bottom of your screen.
- Then, tap the App icon, in this case the Netflix logo, and you’ll see a couple of options appear.
- Select Pin this app.
How to Unpin an App on Android
The method to unpin an app on Android can vary depending on your device. When pinning an app, an instruction box will appear to tell you how to unpin the app when you have finished using it.
On a Samsung device running Android 11, you need to press and hold the Recents button and the Back button on the bottom of the screen. This unpins the app and takes you to the lock screen, where you’ll be prompted to enter your PIN.
On other Android devices, the unpin method may differ. For example, some users must swipe up to open a lock screen and then swipe up again to enter their pin. To avoid confusion, pay close attention to the instructions that pop up when you first pin an app.
Setting Up an Android Phone for Children
If your children are old enough and regularly use certain phone apps, then it may be worthwhile to buy them a phone of their own.
Giving a child their first phone or tablet can be daunting, but thankfully there are now plenty of children’s settings and kid-friendly educational apps that can help to keep your child safe online and when using their smartphone.